Wednesday 27 February 2013

Giving 100%: a chat with Emily Irving


Emily Irving is the latest of Ayr's young stars to be called up to represent Scotland at under-20s level.  The 17-year-old Belmont Academy student made her debut for Scotland Women under-20s on Saturday at Lasswade in their 17-7 victory over their Finnish counterparts - very impressive for someone who only took up rugby last summer. 

"Ayr Ladies is brilliant," she enthuses.  "I love playing for them.  I've made loads of close friends.  Everyone is so nice, both players and coaches."

Emily was spotted by Scotland selectors whilst playing in Ayr's defeat of Strathclyde University (pictured above) last November - when she was awarded player-of-the-match - and her appearances for Ayr under-18s.  However, she had a bit of a wait to see if she had made the squad for last week's match and was relieved when she got the good news.

"I was unbelievably nervous about the Finland game, but once I was on the pitch, the adrenalin took over and I couldn't help feeling proud to be wearing the thistle and playing for my country."

Evaluating her own performance, Emily says: "I put 100% into the full eighty minutes of the game, so I like to think I played my best."

"She has been outstanding this season and a key figure in our under-18 and senior sides at Ayr," says coach Stuart Fenwick.  "She is a real driving force to those now trying to follow in her footsteps next year."

When asked about her plans for the future, Emily simply answers: "To take rugby as far as I'm able to, and just get better!"

After recent performances, everyone at Ayr RFC is sure of that.


EH




No comments:

Post a Comment